Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Origami

Origami is the first Japanese hobby that captured my interest. While the art of folding paper may seem simple, it is a delicate and long process. This is made increasingly more difficult when attempting to document the process. I will attemt to divulge into some of what I have learned about origami in an attempt to help others who are trying out this ancient artform.

I'll start out with some background. Origami comes in many shapes and sizes, but these can all be separated into categories. True origami refers to a model that is folded from a square sheet with no cuts or adhesives. Models range from the basic origami crane to super complex models folded from a 6' by 6' sheet. True origami is a passion for me because of the artistic nature involved in making a square into something much more. Modular origami is a type that combines many sheets of paper to create geometric shapes and designs. This style interests me because it appeals to the engineer in me. It also happens to be some of the easiest to teach. Not all origami uses a square sheet. I will refer to anything that isn't true or modular origami as general origami. While most general models can be formed using a sheet that has a section folded behind, it is sometimes easier to use and display cut sheets. An example of this style is many flower models are made from irregularly shaped sheets. The weight of extra paper folded behind some of the petals would destroy the elegant image of the design.

I hope to use my blog to display and teach origami. I have already progressed significantly by reading forums and other websites on origami and I recommend doing the same. Otherwise, I hope you can enjoy the folding sequences that I've followed or maybe you'll just race forward to the final model. Either way, welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment