Monday, March 1, 2010

Natal Plum - Bad News

My plum tree isn't looking so good. It held up for a while, but some of the leaves started turning red several weeks ago. At first I thought it might be due to the abuse it received when I first acquired it. I certainly haven't ruled out the intense pruning or the roots and branches, repotting of the tree into a bonsai pot, and changing its surroundings. However, I think I may have a clue as to the problem.

Watering may be the most difficult part of owning a bonsai. While my fig tree needs watering about once per week, my natal plum tree requires more frequent watering. Several factors including the airy soil and pot shape affect this. Unfortunately, I have been rather absorbed in skiing and other weekend activities and my two bonsai have been watered at about the same frequency. This is probably the main reason that my plant isn't doing so hot.

I am now keeping track of my plum bonsai more carefully. It seems to be needing water every 3 or 4 days. I only hope that I am not too late as many of the leaves that turned have fallen off. With any luck, more leaf changing will cease and my tree will return to its normal health.

No comments:

Post a Comment