Monday, November 30, 2009

Ficus Oriental - The Beginning

I got my first Bonsai tree yesterday. My brother bought me an Oriental Fig that is approximately 18 inches tall. It was a fairly cheap tree which is probably a good thing considering my experience level.

I was told that this type of tree is relatively resilient and therefore a good beginner tree. Supposedly, it can take anywhere between 8 hours of direct sunlight, to 4 hours of limited exposure. I currently have it placed about 2 feet from my window which approximately points south. It should get several hours of light there from mid morning till sunset.

I picked my specific tree because it has a sturdy trunk with multiple low branchings. My current thinking is to create a dense canopy design by stretching the branches apart and encouraging growth. The root system is maintained below the trunk and forms a weaved spiralling pattern around the base of the tree. It also includes a unique handle feature where the root bends away from the soil for some time.

Pictures hopefully coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment